- Extensive extrathyroidal extension (ETE) is associated with increased risk of recurrence in patients with T4a papillary thyroid cancer (PTC).
Why this matters
- Identification of prognostic markers can help with treatment planning.
- Extensive ETE (multiple structures involved) was associated with increased risk of recurrence compared with limited ETE (single structure involved).
- HR, 5.1; P=.030 in analysis adjusted for radioactive iodine treatment.
- HR, 4.7; P=.041 in analysis adjusted for margin status.
- HR, 8.3; P=.034 in analysis adjusted for primary tumor size.
- Microscopic positive margins (HR, 4.1; P=.041) and age ≥55 years (HR, 4.3; P=.042) were also associated with increased risk of recurrence (univariate analysis).
- Low-risk patients (limited ETE, clear margins,
- 39 patients with T4a PTC, 26 with limited ETE and 13 with extensive ETE, were included.
- Funding: None disclosed.
- Retrospective study.
- Small patient sample size.