- Fewer than 20% of oncologists from a nationwide directory prescribed early palliative care (PC) for their advanced NSCLC patients.
- The study also surveyed advanced NSCLC patients treated at a single center, 94% of whom received no PC referral.
Why this matters
- Based on a landmark study that found early PC improved QoL and prolonged survival, early integration of PC for advanced NSCLC patients was added to treatment guidelines.
- Survey of 93 oncologists from the 2015 IASLC membership directory and 100 patients with advanced NSCLC.
- Funding: None.
- 83% of oncologists said evidence supports early PC, but 40% said their clinical experience only supported a QoL benefit.
- 58% said most or all metastatic patients should be referred for early PC, but only about 19% make referrals at time of diagnosis.
- 94% of patients reported no PC referral and 64% had never heard of PC.
- Among oncologists who referred
- Most oncologists were at large academic centers.