- Patients with follicular thyroid carcinoma (FTC) show a low 5-y recurrence rate (3.2%) after surgery, with no cases identified on routine follow-up ultrasonography (US).
Why this matters
- The benefits of postoperative surveillance of FTC are unclear.
- 3.2% of patients experienced tumor recurrence during a 5-y follow-up period.
- 0% of patients showed initial suspicion of recurrence on routine follow-up US.
- Recurrent patients had longer mean interval between thyroid surgery and last follow-up US compared with nonrecurrent patients (94.5 vs 75.2 mo; P=.012).
- Recurrent patients had tumors with more advanced N (P=.006) and M (P=.038) stage compared with nonrecurrent patients.
- 186 patients with FTC underwent postoperative US and were analyzed for recurrence risk.
- Funding: None.
- Retrospective study design.
- Heterogeneity in surveillance procedures.