- A matched pair analysis suggests that patients with early glottic cancer who failed initial radiotherapy (RT) had worse outcomes following salvage surgery than patients who failed transoral laser microsurgery (TLM).
Why this matters
- Predicting patient prognosis can help with care management.
- Patient who failed RT had a longer mean decannulation time (P=.005) and higher rates of feeding tube dependence (P=.012) and second locoregional recurrence (P=.004).
- Patient who failed RT had worse postrecurrence OS (P<.001 and disease-specific survival compared with patients who failed tlm.>
- 81 patients with early glottic cancer, 27 who received initial TLM and 54 who received initial RT, were matched by recurrent tumor-node-metastasis stage and analyzed for outcomes after salvage surgery.
- Funding: None disclosed.
- Retrospective study.
- Small patient sample size.